Waste Management SystemNovember 1, 2020
Arzoo Kahan hey?November 2, 2020
Cantonment Executive Officer,
Cantonment Board office, Clifton, Karachi.
Waste Management System
A group of citizens had recently met Dr. Rizwan Deputy CEO and presented to him a modern and documented Waste Management System (WMS) for adoption by CBC. The salient principles of the proposed WMS are as follows:
- That the CBC will ensure a door to door collection for every residence thrice a week.
- That the CBC will promote segregation of all waste at the house hold level into 3 categories – Recyclables, Organic and Trash.
- That CBC will encourage maximum recycling by residents (thru Kabari wala) and compositing of organic waste at the home level.
- That the CBC will collect and dispose each of these categories of waste in a value adding and environmentally friendly manner by organizing garbage transfer stations on scientific lines.
- That the CBC will prohibit all residents and staff from throwing “katchra” at open plots and empty spaces.
- That open plots will be barricaded, their katchra kundi or CBC drums removed to eliminate the invitation to throw Katchra.
- That use or sale of plastic bags will be systematically eliminated.
- That the CBC will carry out massive promotion of these principles and also place its entire waste management system including schedules and timings on its website.
- That CBC will ensure full safety gear, minimum wages, EOBI and Social Security for its sanitation staff, not on paper, but in practice.
- That CBC will audit, review and improve its WMS every year.
As you know that sadly, Pakistan as a whole, has been unable to develop a modern waste management system and is constantly relying on Turkish and Chinese companies. CBC can make a break-thru and become a role model in this field by adopting the proposed WMS. You are therefore requested to kindly adopt the system presented to CBC, whose salient principles are mentioned above.